Following last year’s coup in Sudan due to political crises, different Islamists have rallied to stop United Nations (UN) from involvement.
The demonstrations, the latest by Islamist factions in recent weeks, came one day after military leaders and a critical civilian bloc announced plans to sign an initial deal.
These political crises have been ongoing since the army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan took place in the 2021 military takeover derailing a fragile transition to civilian rule installed after the 2019 ouster of long-time Islamist autocrat Omar al-Bashir.
After this, there was a rise in anti-coup protests and in ethnic clashes in Sudan’s remote regions with deepening unrest.
“Do not interfere in Sudanese affairs,” protesters chanted outside the headquarters of the UN mission in Khartoum.
On Friday, military leaders met with the Forces for Freedom and Change, the main civilian bloc which was ousted in the 2021 coup.
The FFC said they discussed a potential “political framework agreement” that would “lay the groundwork for establishing transitional civilian authority”.
Sudan’s sovereign council, chaired by Burhan, confirmed the plan.
Friday’s talks were held in the presence of officials from the African Union, United Nations and the regional IGAD bloc, as well as Western diplomats, the FFC and the sovereign council said.
Divisions among civilian groups in Sudan have deepened since the coup, with some urging for reaching a deal with the military, while others insist on “no partnership, no negotiation”.